The lake Sevan is one of the largest freshwater high altitude lakes in the world. A wonderful mountainous lake is located on the territory of modern Armenia, in Caucasus region. The shores of the lake in the deep parts, the Small Sevan, are indented and very picturesque.
Transparency of water varies depending on the season and weather conditions, but the visibility can reach 4-10 meters.
The accessibility of the lake is determined by the proximity to the capital (about an hour drive, or 60 km far from Yerevan) and the possibility of staying in hotels and camping sites on the shore.
There is a modern dive center right on the shore of the lake, which constitutes a convenient training base for scuba and free divers from all over the world.
Reasons why you should consider visiting Sevan and diving (in Caucasus region)
- Sevan is the perfect place to acquire altitude diving experience.
- There are approximately 250 types of plants under the water, and fish types endemic to Sevan only, so dive in to see what can’t be seen anywhere else
- Dive among the reefs. As Lake Sevan is situated in mountains, you will see underwater natural reefs. Besides, there are also several artificial reefs to surprise you.
- Under the lake you will discover stromatolites which are one of the first live organisms of the world. There are few places left in the world where stromatolites still exist.
- If you are planning to learn technical diving, Sevan can be one of the most comfortable places to arrange your courses, because of the suitable location, water temperature and water depth.
Technical details of the lake Sevan
- Lake type: Volcanic
- The largest lake in the Caucasus region (the second largest freshwater mountainous lake in the world; the first one is the lake Titicaca.)
- Altitude above sea level: 1900 meters, in the Armenian Province of Gegharkunik.
- Absence of strong currents
- Absence of big waves
- Absence of thermocline in cold season
- Visibility: 4-10 meters
- Average surface temperature in summer: 21° (note: the deeper the colder)
- Average depth: 26 meters
- Deepest point: 81 meters (the deepest point is located not more than 250 meters away from the shore.)
Weather in Sevan
Average monthly weather temperature in Lake Sevan.
Sevan Water Temperature
Water temperature range in Lake Sevan by month. Shown historical data for the last 7 years.